500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are used every year, worldwide. About 1 million plastic bags are used every minute. A single plastic bag can take 20 to 1,000 years to degrade depending on the quality of plastic. Aren’t these statistics alarming enough for us to consider bringing about a change in our lifestyle? It is high time that we start using substitutes for plastic bags – the best being paper!
Here are top 5 ways in which we can influence the environment by switching over to paper from plastic –
- Make it a habit to carry at least one paper bag with you while going to work/college etc. you never know when you might take a detour for shopping. These bags will come handy!
- Do not buy plastic covers from your local banya shops.
- Educate your family members and urge them to use paper bags too instead of plastic bags.
- Make it a point to recycle and reuse whatever paper bags are at your disposal.
- The best way to encourage others to adopt this change is to hand it to them. While gifting someone, use an attractive paper bag to place the gift in, instead of the annoying plastic covers
There are bigger reasons why the use of paper bag is advantageous. Aside from being reusable, they are recyclable, biodegradable, environment friendly, inexpensive and practical to use. So let’s not waste time pondering over or complaining about the state of our environment – let us take the first step towards improvement.
Be the change – prefer Paper bags over Plastic!